of the railway station Breslau Odertor
first attempt at connecting Breslau (via Oels, Kreuzburg, Lublinitz) with
the grounds of Oberschlesien was made by Oppeln - Tarnowitzer Rail in
1855. However the idea was executed only after the Oberschlesien Rail had
handed in a resignation of a licence for the above mentioned connection.
The licence was given to the Oppeln - Tarnowitzer Rail Company
(which was formed about 1862) on 13th November 1865. This is how
the Rechter Oberufer Rail Company was forestollen by the Oppeln -
Tarnowitzer Rail Company. Finally both companies went into partnership
with each other and formed a company called the Rechter Oberufer Rail.
first railroad track was lead up from Vosswalde to Breslau Odertor station.
The opening ceremony of the above mentioned railway traffic was held on the
15th November 1868 (although the section Breslau Odertor- Oels
was completed by June 1868). The second railroad track to Oels was built
probably before 1886.
the modernization of the Wrocław's central railway station (Breslauer
Hauptbahnhof) between 1901-1905 the Odertor’s Station was rebuilt (in
1912). Within the confines of modernization there were new platforms and
tunnels built as well as parts of the commodity rebuilt.
assume that by that time the level of the track was situated on street
level, but there is no conclusively reliable evidence for this.
rebuilding of the rail system was broken by the outbreak of the First World
War in 1914. It was later completed in the 1920’s.
Breslau Odertor after the Second World War
the result of war the local railway junction was completely immobilized.
Since 19th July 1945, after the reconstruction of the bridge over
the river Weide trains to Krakau, Kattowitz, Lodsch and Warschau
reached the station at Breslau Odertor. The first 210-metres long steel
bridge over the river Oder , that connected Breslau Odertor station with
Nikolaitorbahnhof , was the first connection between the two riversides.
the moment of our study we do not have any pieces of information on
reconstruction of the railway station Brealau Odertor.
Between 1967- 1970 the traffic control equipment was rebuilt to include the
administration control equipment. Device type E was installed within the
executive control equipment was the modernized slide control device (type
VES). Is was one of not many such equipped control devises. In 1972 the
route between Stahlhammer - Lublinitz - Kreuzburg - Breslau Odertor
was electrified and the opening ceremony took place on the 11th
September 1972. The 70s and 80s were time when our railway network prevailed
and increased passengers and goods traffic. Breslau Odertor -to- Trebnitz
and Breslau Odertor -to
-Oppeln trains started their course
in our station. On the goods track has the camshaft functioned (it still
exists now but it is now not operated.). The railway station still operates
many sidings; among others the harbour, the heat and power plant, the
brewery "PIAST" and a few smaller ones. Also here are neighborly situated
repair plants of the rolling stock (ZNTK Breslau).
suppose, that the locomotive depot and the rotator were formerly an integral
part of the railway station.
our gallery you can see probably the last photos of the giant's remains.
These photos are believed to be the last documentation of that part of the
Breslau Odertor railway station.
present the station possesses 13 in working order and 5 closed tracks, about
50 points, signaling equipment and scales.
automatic-fitter troop, a traffic patrol and service workers work on the
maintenance of these buildings & railway routs.
Breslau Odertor Station
railway station buildings were unveiled in 1868. The building was opened by
Wilhelm Grapow, who was expected to be its designer. Between 1880- 1912 the
structure went under refurbishment and parts were rebuild. The Breslau
Odertor is a arterial
station, that is situated on the Treibnitzerplatz. The 190-meter long
building refers with its lump and projection
to patterns, which was a characteristic of the Renaissance palace. It was
erected with non-plaster brick. This method was characteristic of many
public buildings made by the Berliner School in 1960s and 1970s. In the
same way, the structures demonstrated their resemblance to the medieval
architecture style. The building has survived to the present-day in an
almost intacted condition (with the exception of the interference into its
(according to Janusz L. Dobesz "The railway stations of Wrocław"; 1.edition,
present in the railway stations' buildings are the goods haulage contractor
CARGO Wrocław seated. In the early 90s there were also section of the
railway traffic protection, section of the traffic control equipment was
added, along with section of the communication line, station masters office,
a ticket office, a medical clinic, a police station, a rail collage
dormitory and a restaurant based.
the end something for the adventurers and sensation-seekers: under the
railway station there is a subway that links the grounds of the former ZNTK
with the area, which borders on the back of the tram depot. It goes arcly
under 20 tram- tracks. It still remains a
mystery why was it build there.
you can see the history of the Odertor Bahnhof of Wrocław has many
gaps and there are facts, that need to be substantiated. We hope, that this
web-page will help us get new pieces of
information to this topic. The Odertor railway station is very poorly
documented, even in the specialist literature (in contrast to the central
railway station of Wrocław and the Freiburger railway station, that are in
many books described). We believe, that rail-fans in Poland and in foreign
countries will help us substantiate the history of this full of architecture
and technical virtues building.
Thank you The authors.
Pilch, Roman Trembowski,
Written by :
Translated by: Julia Suchar
Corrected by : Lizi Green